Wednesday, April 6, 2011

BLT's with Basil Mayonnaise


BLTs with Basil Mayonnaise from Jennifer Swendsen

"I'm not a big mayo person but I've decided that homemade basil mayo will make a believer out of anyone. I discovered this recipe several years ago and Scott liked it so much that he wanted me to mass-produce the mayo and sell it. That never happened, but the recipe has become a family favorite that we make every now and then. I often halve the recipe because it makes a lot for a condiment, althought it's a little tricky adding half of an egg.

1 egg at room temperature
1 T. lemon juice (fresh-squeezed if possible)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. olive oil
1 c. chopped fresh basil

Serve with:
crisp bacon strips
lettuce or spinach leaves
tomato slices
good bread (I prefer mine toasted)

Process egg, lemon juice, mustard and salt in a food processor or blender. With machine running, add oils in a thin stream until mayonnaise has thickened. Add basil leaves and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate. Yields 1 1/2 cups. Spread mayo on bread and assemble BLTs.

1 comment: