Saturday, October 11, 2014

Buttermilk syrup

A Sandstrom Christmas tradition is a waffle bar for breakfast, and there's a small flask of maple syrup for me, and everyone else eats this yummy buttermilk syrup. I guess you could compare it to the Magleby's fresh syrup that they serve with their french toast, if my memory serves me right. But on a whim I made it at the Checketts cabin when we stayed there for the Sept. 11 football game. Thanks again to Laura and Ben for hosting us all! Enjoy!

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. sugar (can use white or brown)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Melt butter, buttermilk, and sugar in a saucepan until bubbly. Take off heat and add vanilla and baking soda. The baking soda will bubble up and foam, so make sure there's space in the pan. Serve warm, and stir it up if it's been sitting and has settled. SO GOOD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment